Wednesday, January 16, 2019

A Hurt Shoulder, And A Late Shift


Unfortunately tonight was just not a night I would not be able to get something done. I had to work late and messed up my shoulder on some equipment at work....Whoops! Ah well, it happens, but that’s ok! I didn’t get anything painted, but I did work on some drawing!
This is the progress I made on my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the Warhammer 40k Universe. Here we have Raphael! I was really enjoying it and drawing thankfully only requires one good arm.
I really wanted these drawings to invoke some of the eighties goodness I grew up staring at in the old Warhammer Fantasy rulebooks, and the White Dwarf magazines my brother received in the mail. Such as it is, I’m happy with how it’s going! 

Since there wasn’t much to post, I suppose I can talk more about my hobbying and some random stuff I’ve been building. 

As I’ve mentioned my brothers were the ones that got me started into this hobby. They played maybe a couple games, but mostly just collected random odds and ends and painted them to the best of the ability of young children with crayola paints can do. Which is to say that our Bretonian blue knight was solid blue and our bretonian red Knight was solid red. It was like a medieval power rangers set riding along on their color coordinated horses. Not the most splendid affair, but it would do. We didn’t really know anyone else who had or played the game so we mostly just stared at what the Games Workshop artists created and dreamed of one day being a fraction as good.

The classic Dogs of War issue of White Dwarf magazine always stands out in my mind as the epitome of what I see this game to look like.


I actually have the rider Asarnil in my collection waiting to eventually be painted along with his stand in dragon.

Now my oldest brother was the only one to really keep up with this hobby. Myself and our other brother lost interest as things like Pokémon started to take over our childhoods and we grew into teenagers. Now I did continue to pour over my brothers rulebooks and draw ridiculous amounts of poorly proportioned space marines, but I never played the game much, and had given what few models I did by to my eldest brother who would start in high school to find others with the shared interest and regularly play games. Mostly they played 40k, but I think our main interests always was on the rank and file troops of the fantasy world.

As I entered into college my brother for the first time really started trying to get me to play. We tried a few practice games while he lived at home and I even started to buy some plastic High Elf kits that were out at the time. I somewhat lost interest again though as school was proving a lot of pressure, and I just wasn’t the skilled painter I wanted to be (I’m still not, but oh well)
I kept these models this time around, and my brother had given several old metal ones he had had from out childhood. Give it a few more years and the End Times for warhammer and here you would find us today.
With an actual art degree I find my painting skills at least adequate and I can at least somewhat afford the older models I crave.
As far as things I have built and really can't wait to revisit are the aforementioned dragon, and 2 deodorant tanks with a third sitting unfinished in the background. 

Not as charming as the original perhaps, nor do I know how I will work them into Necromunda scenery but I will figure something out.
Anywho Hope everyone out there is having a nice night
- Andrew Thurston





No comments:

Post a Comment

Finally Back!

Okay, so I had intended for this blog to be an incentive into painting more often, specifically I had wanted to do one miniature a day. Un...